Fruits bring health, colour, and happiness to our palates and lives. We almost invariably give preference to seasonal fruits like orange in winter and mango in summer. Apple is pop... Read More
An inflammation of meninges near the brain and spinal cord is known as Meningitis. Inflammation is caused when the fluid surrounding membrane becomes infected due to bacterial or viral infection. It can affect people of all age even new-borns. It can lead to a serious problem if left untreated and so must immediately seek a doctor.
Causes of Meningitis:
The main cause of meningitis is different microorganisms like virus, bacteria, fungi or parasite. These microorganisms spread through the bloodstream and thus area near the brain and the spinal cord gets infected. It is also caused due to infection caused by a contagious problem like coughing, sneezing or even kissing.
• Bacterial meningitis is caused by different bacteria like Meningococcal, Pneumococcal, TB, Group B streptococcal and E. coli. Meningitis caused by any of such bacteria must be treated immediately and even in the adverse condition, it can cause blood poisoning.
• Viral meningitis is less risky and common as compared to other microorganisms. Children are mostly affected by virus meningitis and if treated on time it can be cured easily. It is mostly caused by enteroviruses which are present in the form of fluid in the mouth and nose.
• Organisms which grows slowly affect membrane near the brain is known as chronic meningitis. It grows slowly and is quite similar to acute meningitis.
• Fungal meningitis is not contagious and is mostly affects whose immune system is weak.
Symptoms of Meningitis:
Effect of meningitis starts within hours of infection and can worsen in a short span of time. Some of the common symptoms of meningitis caused by different microorganisms are mentioned below:
• Severe headache is one of the common symptoms of meningitis. It is different from a normal headache and sometimes accompanied by vomiting and nausea.
• sleepiness with difficult in waking
• stiff neck which makes gives severe pain while moving near chest
• lack of concentration, inactive and confusion
• Reduce in appetite
• Fever where temperature ranges from 100.5 to nearly 104 degrees.
• Skin rashes which do not turn white and is similar to meningococcal meningitis.
Infants and newborns who are affected by meningitis will not have the same symptoms as in the adult. They may have vomiting, tiredness, and fever. Even the intake of food and water will also be reduced. You will find the swelling on the skull on new-born and thus make them bad-tempered.
Treatment for Meningitis:
Meningitis is caused by different microorganisms and so treatment is also dependent on the type of meningitis and age of the affected person.
Severe bacterial meningitis is treated with antibiotics and even in many cases, doctors opt for corticosteroids. This medication will give quick relief and also minimize complications like brain swelling.
Until doctor is unable to know about the exact cause of the infection they opt for a broad-spectrum antibiotic to reduce complications.
Type of bacteria and effect will decide the does and combination of antibiotics.
In many cases, the doctor removes infected sinuses which is the bone behind the ear.
In the case of mild viral meningitis, it is advisable to have bed rest, pain medication to relieve fever and intake of liquid.
If there is swelling in brain or seizure doctor prescribe for corticosteroids and anticonvulsant.
Meningitis caused by herpes virus will be treated with antiviral medication.
There are cases when it is unclear regarding meningitis and in such condition, doctors opt for antibiotic and antiviral to cure the problem. If the effect of the disease is minimal it can be cured with homely remedies like an ice pack, neck support and most importantly staying hydrated.
If the above-mentioned symptoms persist for a long time and there is no effect after trying homely remedies it is advisable to seek a doctor. In many cases, it gets quite severs and even risk life and so timely medication help to diagnose the problem correctly. Always practice hygiene and change lifestyle to prevent this harmful disease.