Lady luck is going to be on your side today, Aries. Whatever you plan to d... Read More
Psoriasis is an immune-mediated skin condition in which the life cycle of skin cells speeds up. Because of this, skin cells formation on the surface of the skin increases to a very high rate. This disease is actually caused due to an over-active immune system. The extra skin cells produced thus form red patches and scales which cause itchiness and are sometimes painful. The outside of the elbows, scalp, and knees are affected due to psoriasis, although it can happen at any place. Psoriasis being a disease which is quite a chronicle, it normally just comes and goes with no after effects. The main aim of the treatment is to stop the skin cells from growing so rapidly.
Some of the common symptoms of psoriasis include:
1. Red patches of skin that are generally covered with silvery, thick scales
2. Minor scaling spots
3. Dry skin which can bleed
4. Burning or itching
5. Thickened nails
6. Swollen joints
Common types of psoriasis:
1. Plaque psoriasis:
Plaque psoriasis is one of the most commonly found psoriasis. It may cause dry, red skins that are covered with silvery scales.
2. Nail psoriasis:
Psoriasis can also affect our nails and can cause pitting, abnormal nail growth, and discoloration. Nails infected by psoriasis, might loosen up and can get separated from the nail bed. In some cases which are very dangerous, the nails can also get crumbled.
3. Guttate psoriasis:
By this type of psoriasis, generally young adults and children get affected.
4. Inverse psoriasis:
This has certain consequences such as patches on the skin which are red, inflamed that worsen with friction and sweating. Inverse psoriasis can certainly be one of those caused by fungal infections.
5. Pustular psoriasis:
This one is not so common form. It develops really very fast and pus-filled blisters appear just after a few hours after your skin becomes red and tender. This type of psoriasis can also cause fever, chills, severe itching and diarrhea.
6. Erythrodermic psoriasis:
Very rare but is one of the fastest developing psoriasis. You may find red patches and a strong itchy feeling or intense burn at the initials of Erythrodermic psoriasis.
7. Psoriatic arthritis:
Psoriatic arthritis causes inflamed, scaly skin, and swollen, painful joints.
Some of the causes of psoriasis are:
The reasons which cause psoriasis are not completely clear until now. People have a strong perception that psoriasis is a problem connected to the immune system of our bodies, such as T cells and white blood cells. However, T cells and white blood cells are termed to be the most protective ones from harmful micro-organisms, they travel all over and makes sure no foreign substances enter our body.
In the people who are suffering from psoriasis, the T cells attack some other healthy skin cells, to heal a wound or to fight infection.
In certain cases where the T cells are highly active, they can even increase the production of healthy skin cells. Then these travel in the skin and thus, cause redness and also sometimes, pus in pustular lesions.
Treatment of psoriasis:
1. Various Treatments for Psoriasis:
This type of treatment includes:
1. Salicylic acid: Doctors all across the globe are recommending the use of salicylic acid ointment. This results in soft & smooth skin that allows the shedding of all psoriasis scales.
2. Steroid-based creams: There are various creams that relieve itching, reduce inflammation and stop the production of cells which are often produced in psoriasis.
3. Calcitriol topical ointment: It is an effective treatment when combined with a topical corticosteroid cream.
4. Coal-tar shampoos: These shampoos are proved to be efficient, that slows down the rapid growth of skin cells and alleviates symptoms.
5. Prescribed retinoids for treatment: They have vitamin A in them which helps in improving psoriasis.
2. Phototherapy for Psoriasis:
For psoriasis which is persistent and difficult to be treated, many doctors recommend light therapy.
1. PUVA treatment: This treatment is not often recommended as the chances of having developing cancer are more.
2. UVB light: The treatment is usually prescribed that uses a light box along with several other therapies such as coal tar.
3. NB UVB therapy: It is the most targeted treatment for this disease in the market. It is often used at various hospitals to curb this menace.
3. Oral Treatment for Psoriasis:
In fact, some doctors prescribe oral drugs to treat this disease completely.