Weight Reduction is not about diet control, it’s about overall Health
Everyone likes to get back to their best looking selves and that’s inevitably related to weight reduction. So whenever anyone decides to lose weight, they try to control food intake and expect to reduce their weight drastically. But there are several other factors which control body weight. Diet and physical exercise are keys to weight reduction. However, some other factors, enumerated below, also contribute as much.
The factors which influence weight reduction are:
- Basal Metabolic rate (BMR): Metabolic rate is one of the key factors when it comes to weight reduction. BMR controls our overall energy expenditure, which is directly related to a decline in weight. It isn’t uncommon to find a person who consumes voraciously and yet is thin, and on the other hand a person who maintains a balanced diet is overweight! The main reason for that is the metabolic rate of the thin person is high in comparison to the metabolic rate of the obese person. But we can increase our metabolic rate by increasing our physical activity and also by including some spices like jeera water and cinnamon water in our daily diet.
- Stress and Depression: Stress and depression are synonymous to weight gain. Stress induces several hormone productions in our body. Levels of two hormones, known as cortisol and insulin, change during stress. Cortisol hormone which is identified as the hunger hormone increases and this leads to overeating of sweets and salty foods. As a result weight gain occurs. On the other hand production of insulin reduces with increased stress, which is the main hormone for carbohydrate metabolism. So reduction in insulin production leads to fat deposition and thereby increases obesity. Listening to music, reading books and going for a walk will reduce your stress, depression and weight.
- Sleep: Sleep is important for good health. If a person sleeps well he/she can maintain her health and beauty too. Lack of sleep affects our body and hormone levels. Sleeplessness induces production of ghrelin hormone which is responsible for hunger. Lack of sleep also increases the production of cortisol, mainly during the evening. Increased cortisol enhances the consumption of sweets and salt which are directly related to obesity. For better sleep consume a cup of milk before sleep, reduce your gadget usages and exposure to strong light.
- Metabolic Disorders: Metabolic disorders occur due to abnormal metabolism of the body. There are different kinds of metabolic disorders which can control our body weight. Common and more prevalent metabolic disorders are Diabetes, Thyroid, and PCOS etc. These diseases are directly related to weight management. For controlling this disorder, one should follow a proper diet and do regular physical exercises along with taking proper medication. By treating your metabolic disorder you can reduce your weight.
- Water: Water indirectly influences weight reduction. When a person doesn’t drink water for a long time she feels thirsty. Sometime this thirst is perceived as hunger leading to overeating. However, that is pseudo-hunger. So drinking at least 10-12 glasses of water regularly reduces this false perception and therefore reduces the chances of overeating.
These are common factors which influence body weight. So, along with diet and physical exercise, try to maintain the above stated tips for effective and sustainable weight loss.
For personalized diet plan and any query related to health and nutrition Chat with Dietitian & Nutritionist.